Any tips for college interviews over the phone?

Any tips for college interviews over the phone?

Be as much of yourself as possible! Feel free to move around and add expression to what you say. They want to feel like they’ve gotten to know you. Also, always have a question or two to ask about the school!

1 Like

^ I completely agree with this advice. More than anything, it’s important to be authentic. My two cents: Set some mood music! I know it sounds cheesy, but I played a really cool trap-house-jazz mix and that really gave my phone interviewer a good sense of my personality :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be yourself. Be articulate and try to keep the mood light. Talk to them as if they’re one of your close teachers.
Don’t try to impress them with really big words because that isn’t who you are.

1 Like

Be prepared with questions to ask THEM. They will most often just wait for you to do most of the talking

1 Like

Something that really helps me is to stand up and walk around the room when doing it. This allows you to natursally be more expressive / passionate and they can hear that in your voice. Talk slower than you think and don’t be afraid to take time to pause. Since it on the phone use that to your advantage and have the resume / bullet points of what you want to talk about our but don’t let that distract you.

Before the interview, I suggest that you take a sheet of paper and map out your personality. That includes strengths and weaknesses, the opportunities you see yourself gaining at their specific college and how your personality will develop through those opportunities. These are basic questions you need to have the answer to and at the same time it helps self esteem to really gain a sense of who you are before you take the interview call. Furthermore, be confident! Remember that more than anything they don’t expect you to have the perfect answer but they want to see a student with grit and determination!!