Can someone tell me how generous out of state public schools are with financial aid packages?(preferably answered by someone who has applied out of state and knows how much they received)

Can someone tell me how generous out of state public schools are with financial aid packages?(preferably answered by someone who has applied out of state and knows how much they received)

It depends. My friend is going to Florida State and she got around 10,000 dollars in loans and for scholarships was around 15,000 from academic and athletic! Message me for anymore questions about college!! :slight_smile:

I applied to some out of state schools and i think the financial aid packages vary for whichever school it is you’re applying to. For example I got a CA resident grant from a school in Maine and the rest were loans. If you’re looking at going out of state, see if they have scholarships within the school or donors that give money for these circumstances.

It honestly depends on the school and your family’s financial situation. I know UNC most likely gives better aid than say University of Washington at Seattle. A lot of schools also tend to have Financial Aid Calculators online so if you know the basics of your family’s income, it’s super close to how much you’d actually get.

It really depends, I grew up in California and decided to go to university in Washington. But I also didn’t grow up in a house hold with a lot of money, so I was granted with $15,000 loan and then I had about $8,000 paid off with scholarships. Though I also have friends who moved out of state and weren’t offered anything.

It really depends! If you are a competitive candidate (high scores/grades, good essays and recs, etc) you should look into honors programs at colleges. They are more likely to give you a more scholarships. Also look to applying to that schools scholarships as they might have a separate application process. I did receive rather generous aid from the out of state schools (both public and private) I applied to and am not an athlete. If you are a competitive applicant, you’re more likely to get aid because they really want you to come and know they are likely not your only choice come May.