Has anyone ever done a financial aid appeal for request of more financial aid due to financial change? I have some questions. Do I mail it to the school or drop it off in person. If I get denied the request will I end up not receiving anything? Anyon

Has anyone ever done a financial aid appeal for request of more financial aid due to financial change? I have some questions. Do I mail it to the school or drop it off in person. If I get denied the request will I end up not receiving anything? Anyone have any tips?

I would suggest dropping it off in person if you are within commuting distance. This way you will cut down the time it takes for your appeal to process and you can know for sure that they receive your request. Also, if your appeal is denied you should still receive your original offer. The only way your current aid would be affected is if your financial situation changed for the better and you appealed to get less… as for tips, make sure you have documentation to show proof of change in your financial situation. Good luck!

Hello! I had to submit an appeal for when I first started college too! It’s better to drop it off in person to ensure that you did submit it to them. You should also consider setting up and appointment to meet with a financial aid advisor to go over the appeal with you and have it resolved quicker! Documentation you could bring would be tax returns for the previous year compared to this year. If you do get denied, you would still be keeping previous package you received. Good luck with the appeal!

1 Like

I’ve done it many times. Most schools explain how to do it on their financial aid website. The worst that could happen is they say no in which your financial aid is unchanged, so it’s as though you’ve never appealed in the first place. Just follow the directions and you should be fine!

Hey! In my own experience, schools don’t appreciate receiving duplicate requests for appeals so if your school prefers mail, email, or in-person applications, I suggest picking one and sticking to it. I personally emailed/faxed all my appeal documents. My advice is to be as persistent and sincere as possible when it comes to appeals. Lots of universities are not as generous with their funds as we’d all like so conveying your situation clearly and truly is important. So is maintaining a very good relationship with your financial aid officer. Make sure to contact them with any of your questions/concerns. They’re there to help you after all! Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like