Hi everyone! I'm an upcoming junior at UC Berkeley, double majoring in Cognitive Science and Media Studies. I know college applications can seem overwhelming and scary - but I'm here to help!

Hi everyone!
I’m an upcoming junior at UC Berkeley, double majoring in Cognitive Science and Media Studies. I know college applications can seem overwhelming and scary - but I’m here to help!

4 Likes

Thank you very much! I actually do have a few questions. What GPA and ACT score do I need in order to be accepted by UC Berkeley?

Sorry! I saw this and I’m not the original author but I’ll be going to uc Berkeley in the fall! NO GPA AND ACT/SAT REQUIREMENT!!! I had a pretty low gpa like 3.8 weighted and a below average SAT being 1220. Yes having good scores increase chances but even better are solid personal insights (essays) and extracurriculars.

What is the financial aid experience like at Berkeley?

Again not the original poster, but I received great financial aid from UC Berkeley for my first year federal aid fulfilled almost all the tuition and I was offered a work study program which further helps. A few of my more academically successful friends got regents or blue and gold which completely covered their entire tuition.

UC Berkeley does not have a minimum GPA or ACT score. From my understanding, they look into all factors: gpa, test scores, difficulty of classes (AP/ college course credit), extracurriculars, awards/ honors, involvement, and most importantly essays!) your essay can make or break you. I did not have strong test scores, but I did have a really high gpa and was extremely involved. You really have to sell yourself with great personal statements

I had a 3.89 (unweighted) and 4.45 (weighted) with an average test score… (if you want specific numbers)

As long as you apply for FAFSA and you meet all the requirements, you will most likely receive financial aid. This can be in the form of grants (you don’t have to pay back) or loans (which you do). I would advise applying for scholarships! There is also work- study that is granted. Which I definitely also recommend you take advantage of

1 Like

Are there frats

And is it cheaper to live with them than dorms or renting nearby

If I transfer to a university do I still need sat scores??

So I assume your essay was your strong part? If so, how shall I write my essay?

I need some tips on studying for the Sat