How should I take notes in AP US History? My teacher assigns to take notes for readings, but the problem is I don't know what to take notes and what's important. I get too obsessed

How should I take notes in AP US History? My teacher assigns to take notes for readings, but the problem is I don’t know what to take notes and what’s important. I get too obsessed.

Do they have quizzes on the readings? If they do then try to get a feel for what your quizzed on and take notes on that. If not then pick things you like most about history and take notes on that. Either dates of when things happened, significant people, stories, whatever

Focus on major events, people, Acts, and Laws. These are the types of items you will eventually be tested on. Small details in your notes will distract you from focusing on the important info :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I don’t have it yet.

Try googling cornell notes and follow that format! Headlines in the textbook should clue you into the broader idea of what that chapter covers. Make note of the defined words and try reading a few previous AP USH tests to give you an idea of how specific the questions are. This could help you decide how detailed your notes need to be. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any words that you hear in both class and the readings make note of, or other major battles, laws, people that appear. Focus less on the specific details of each reading and more on how the reading expresses an impact on US history, then write any information that pertains so this impact.

A lot of people recommend Cornell notes but I never really learned from it personally. I like to take my history notes in an outline format making the important parts in a certain color and make the details in various different colors. This way when I take the test, I think about the subject, the sub subjects, then points and then the fine details in between