I am a junior this year. Last year, sophmores at our school were not allowed to take Honors Chemistry. If I want to be a Vetenarian, is taking Honors Chemistry a better idea, or is AP Biology?

I am a junior this year. Last year, sophmores at our school were not allowed to take Honors Chemistry. If I want to be a Vetenarian, is taking Honors Chemistry a better idea, or is AP Biology?

AP biology course work will be more relevant to becoming a veterinarian!

2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

To become a veterinarian, your main course walk will consist of biology courses. If you take AP bio that will help knock one of those classes out for college and make your coursewalk a little easier. Chemistry won’t do that much in that major!

1 Like

Actually, if you are thinking of becoming a biology major, most likely a 4/5 on the AP biology exam will not get you out of your biology course in college, because as a bio major you usually have to retake biology at the college level for the major, but passing the exam will allow you to gain credit towards your graduation credits, meaning you can take less GE courses and focus more on classes related to your major.

1 Like

You’ll probably have to take both chem and bio in college but focus on biology! I would take AP CHEMISTRY because honestly high school courses don’t stay in our head so it’ll be something you’ll take and never have to worry about again but it’s good to have a refresher on Biology when you start college because you’ll be taking so many biology classes but I can assure you will probably have to take one or two chemistry classes in your first two years

1 Like

Some veterinarian/grad schools don’t allow an AP class to count for one of their prerequisite classes, so if you take AP bio you make have to take it again. However, I loved AP bio and it will definitely look great in your application and help you later on if you have to retake it.