I took Pre cal last year and it was horrible!Should I take AP Calc this year? A lot of people have told me if I want to be a Vetenarian I should definitely take AP calc this year

I took Pre cal last year and it was horrible!Should I take AP Calc this year? A lot of people have told me if I want to be a Vetenarian I should definitely take AP calc this year.

No, I don’t think you should take it. AP Calculus will likely be more difficult than Pre-Calculus. If you hated Pre-Cal then you probably won’t like AP Cal and you run the risk of not doing well in the class which could hurt your GPA. Not worth it. I don’t think AP Cal is necessary to take in high school if you want to be a vet.

1 Like

I actually had a really tough time in pre cal and took AP Calc AB the next year. I personally had a better time in Calc than in Precal so I would recommend trying out the AP class if your school has an option to add/drop classes in the first couple weeks of school. Don’t feel pressured to take the AP though, just take a math class where you feel you’ll be able to understand the material and get something out of the class!

1 Like

What is an alternative to AP Calc?

Another alternative is AP Stats. But I do recommend you take the advice of Sarah. I barely pass pre cal and AP Cal is wasn’t that bad but if you are going to have a heavy load course take AP Stats

1 Like

AP Calculus AB is completely different than Precalculus. The only thing that is brought in from Precalculus is the knowledge of the unit circle. I totally recommend taking AP Calculus if you are quite good with Algebra, because Calculus is basically learning a new, math concepts and solving through algebraic means, for the most part. Also the actual AP exam for Calculus is really easy to pass; around 65% is usually the curve to achieve a score of 5. The other math option may vary at your school, but most likely it will be AP Stats. AP Stats is quite hard for most students, because you have to really understand the math at hand and basically be able to explain it through an essay, so it’s a lot of critical thinking.

1 Like

If I were you I would see if you can do AP Stats instead. AP Calc is an extremely difficult class, especially if you struggled with Pre Calc. Stats would be a way better option, it’s still an AP class, and you’d probably be more successful in this class. Whatever you choose is your overall choice, and you can always chose to trade out of classes if you feel they are too challenging or aren’t going to hold you up to your best success. Good luck!

1 Like

So I actually took both Pre calculus and Calculus AB in high school. Pre calculus is more of an intro and is mostly algebra based. Calculus works highly with derivatives and imaginary numbers. Basically everything you learned in pre calculus is turned around with other formulas. I would suggest maybe trigonometry or AP statistics as an alternative

1 Like