On my SAT, I scored a 1050 my second time around. Is that good enough to get into certain colleges or do I have to take it a third time?

On my SAT, I scored a 1050 my second time around. Is that good enough to get into certain colleges or do I have to take it a third time?

2 Likes

Hi! It depends on which colleges you’ve been looking into. Research your top ones to find out what they’re exactly looking for and see if it falls within guidelines. Normally though, you always want to do better than the base scores they provide.

Hi Angel! A 1050 will work for some colleges, but in order to be sure that your top choices will accept that score, I would go online to each of their websites and look at past admissions data. Often, they will list a score range that most of their accepted students from the previous year fell into. Also remember that applications are viewed holistically, meaning that all parts of them are taken into account. If you feel your SAT score is lacking, you can always make up for it with a great high school transcript, a strong application essay, volunteer work, etc. Feel free to reach out if you have further questions!

1 Like

Also consider taking the ACT if you feel the SAT isn’t working for you. Many students find that they perform better on one test than the other.

Definitely depends on the colleges you’re looking at, but it doesn’t hurt to take it a third time. You never know if it could open up new doors for you, I know it’s a pain, but it could be really worth it!

If you can, try going for a third time to get a higher score. This could help with your considerations for scholarships.

Ultimately it depends on the what colleges are looking for. You can contact the admissions team of the colleges you’re interested in to get more information about your particular scores and application.