So I’m an international student planning to start my applications but my gpa is pretty low, if I have high sat, sat 2, and act scores and great essays will I stand a chance at top rank uni’s?

So I’m an international student planning to start my applications but my gpa is pretty low, if I have high sat, sat 2, and act scores and great essays will I stand a chance at top rank uni’s?

My gpa is 3.2 btw

What do you mean by top rank? I don’t think Ivy League would work just because students with super high GPAs don’t always get in, but if you have a high everything else you have a chance for many university’s! What ones are you thinking?

1 Like

Scores are a good start, but most top schools are looking for a student who also has passions outside of requires academics. They want to know- what drives you to work hard, and how would you apply those passions in college?

1 Like

You can show these things in your extracurriculars, challenging courses you take, your essay

1 Like

My top choices are NYU, Barnard, and Johns Hopkins

1 Like

Hi, I’m an international student too! The gpa might be a bit low but it’s good that you compensated that with high SAT and ACT scores. But still to be safe, I’d suggest highlighting your leadership positions in extracurricular activities and showing that in the essays of how you’ll be a good candidate and how you can contribute to the university and why you’re interested/passionate in the field of study in that University. Either way, no harm applying to the three schools you mentioned earlier. I’d definitely make a list of dream, reach, and safety schools (around 8-10) and apply. Good luck and please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Hello, I’m actually a student at Johns Hopkins right now. I do think the GPA is a bit low, but JHU really cares about being a well-rounded student. They want to be able to see your potential to succeed both inside and outside the classroom. Be sure to stress your outside activities and your high SATs. Hopkins specifically loves seeing you pursing passions unique to you - and if you like research they love to see that since we’re a pretty research heavy institution.