What are college courses/majors that would fit the steps to becoming a psychiatrist/entering medical school?

What are college courses/majors that would fit the steps to becoming a psychiatrist/entering medical school?

1 Like

The cool thing with pre med is that you have to take certain classes, yes, but you can major in whatever. In fact when grad schools look and see you have a unique major that may still be useful in the medical field (like Spanish for example) that actually can increase your chances for acceptance

And also I’m not 100% sure about specific classes but they’re biology and science based

If you want to go to med school, you generally need to take a general chemistry series, biology series, organic chemistry series, physics, statistics, and calculus. Once you get to your upper division classes, it mainly just turns to biology, depending on your major. I am a human biology major who wants to go to med school, and what i listed are my requirements, but they’re pretty basic across the board for what med school is looking at. Hope i helped!!

The best route for you would be to find 3-5 of your dream medical schools and research their requirements (I.e. their website, admissions office) and then set a course from there. Most of them will have overlapping reqs so you will not have to take a wide array of courses. As for your major, just try to find something closely related enough but not too impacted. For example, biology is usually a competitive major, but something like anthropology or public health is closely related but not as competitive.