What kind of person should and shouldn’t major is psychology?

What kind of person should and shouldn’t major is psychology?

1 Like

It all depends on what you want to do with the major honestly. There are different career paths for psychology so different types of people are very capable of majoring in psych. You just need passion for it.

1 Like

Thanks so much, I want to be a police officer . Maybe a detective one day

That is great!! You do need psychology for that and criminal justice! My best friend is going into that to become an FBI so if you have questions just ask!

1 Like

It’s not for people who are lazy when it comes to work and won’t put in the work but to be a police officer or a detective I would major in psychology but I would take some classes

1 Like

If you want to do police work, I would suggest going into criminal justice or sociology with a crim minor.
You could also look into the police academy as once graduated they pay for additional schooling!

1 Like

A lot of folks don’t actually get jobs in what they major in, or major in something different from the field they end up working in. I have an uncle who worked for Stanford and ran student housing there, but majored in Animation.
You should major in something you’re willing to dedicate a lot of time to and something you’ll have fun learning about! Some places really value different perspectives (such as med schools that look for social science or humanities majors), so don’t fret too much about what you want to do!

I’m sure you’ll make a great detective.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks so much! Looks like I’m going to go for criminal justice at the moment

1 Like

Thank you so much, and yes I hope so!

Hey Kylie, I think there’s been quite a bit of good advice and it really depends on what you’d like to do in psychology. If you’re interested in becoming a detective, forensic psychology can be an especially useful field. Also, the FBI has special positions available to individuals who majored in psychology or sociology so that’s a good topic. In general, make sure you want to understand how people function - because that’s what psychology is all about. Also, even if you decide to go into a different field psychology can be applicable no matter what since you’ll likely always have to work with others so if it’s something you think you might like don’t be afraid to pursue that passion.

1 Like

I applied to all colleges as a Psychology major, and by far the most important piece of advice I can give is look into the Psychology programs at the colleges you have an eye on to see what kind of courses you will take. Eventually, I switched my major to one whose courses ended up suiting me and my interests best. At UCLA, Psych majors are required to take a slew of math and science classes. Tl;dr: look ahead!

1 Like

Thank you so much!!

That is really good advice, thank you!